What you need to know about Naijaa’s latest protest
Posted On September 28, 2021
Naijas latest protest over an illegal mining project at Pangi Hills has turned violent with one protester being arrested and one police officer injured.
The protesters were protesting against an illegal project at the Pangia Hills mine, a joint venture between South Africa’s Anglo American Oil, the Commonwealth of Australia and Australian company Westpac, which is operating the coal-fired power station at Pungai Hills.
The protest is the latest in a string of anti-mining demonstrations around the world.
Naijas first protest at the coal project took place in August last year and saw more than 10,000 protesters turn up, including at the state’s capital, Pretoria, where more than 30,000 people showed up.
The protests led to the closure of the coal port at Pongani, where the mine is located, as well as the closure and closure of nearby sites including the site of the new mine.
Naimi Zulu, an activist who has been protesting at the mine for three years, told the ABC’s The Morning Report on Sunday that the mine’s operation was not approved by the South African government.
“We have been in negotiations with Anglo American and the Commonwealth [of Australia] to negotiate a resolution and it’s been going on for two years and the process has been dragging on for five years and now the mining company is trying to close the port at this time,” he said.
He said the protesters were using the mining industry as a platform to promote their anti-coal stance.
But the protesters did not accept the government’s offer of a peaceful resolution. “
So we need to show the world we are fighting for our land, we are standing up for our rights and we want our land back,” Mr Zulu said.
But the protesters did not accept the government’s offer of a peaceful resolution.
“The mining company says they will give us the green light to go ahead with the mine.
“What are we going to do then? “
If the mine was not closed, we would have gone to the protest site,” Mr Naimy said.
“What are we going to do then?
We will not accept this.”
The protesters had been due to picket at the mining site until Sunday evening, but they were met by a police operation at the town of Pangio Hills, which they called a “coup”.
A police spokesman said police officers had “fought back” the protesters, but there were no injuries.
Mr Zula said he was now considering going back to the coal mine, and that he had contacted the mining firm.
“It’s a shame that this has happened, it’s a very sad situation, the people who have gone there to fight are just people that don’t deserve it,” he told the Daily Telegraph.
The South African Mining Association, which represents the mining sector, said it was “aware of the situation and will be working closely with the government and local community members”.”
In the end, we will not allow them to close down our town, they have to be removed from our town.”
The South African Mining Association, which represents the mining sector, said it was “aware of the situation and will be working closely with the government and local community members”.